Sunday, September 5, 2010

Clean Sheets, Goose Eggs & Shut Outs

I'm a believer in what sports has to offer children & adults. I'm a believer in sports if we allow sports to do the teaching and for us parents to learn our own lessons by simply supporting our children and not fighting their battles for them. I believe that we learn most from our failures than our successes. I believe in letting children fail so they know the value of working harder for a goal they believe in.

That of course is easier said then done. I learned a lot of lessons as an athlete when I was younger. Those lessons hold true today. I'm still learning lessons as a parent of an athlete.

My son, now a sophomore in college, is a very different athlete than I was. I was a natural, could do anything and do it well. I worked hard at it, but I didn't train like my son. I played many sports. He has chosen soccer as his passion. He's a soccer goalie, a Keeper. He's 5'6"/5'7". He's fearless, he's quick, he's stronger than his 140# athletic frame shows, and he can leap.

But no one, outside of a few HS coaches and his teammates, believed he could dominate this position. He has. But the battle, just like his battle over a learning disability, is not one he can coast along with. He's got to prove himself every moment.

The longer he played, the higher the competition, the higher the risks. Failure is not an option to my son. Failure to him was giving up on his goal of playing Keeper for a team he leads to the nationals and playing in the field. He could play the field, his skills are that good. But his passion is Keeper.

As the leading sophomore he looked to earn his starting position, but the freshman got the nod. AAARGGHH! I pouted more than he.

He got his chance to play. And this is what he did.

Clean Sheets: Share this profile

No comments:

Post a Comment