Sunday, June 8, 2014

Technology in Health & Fitness - I believe it is a GOOD Thing!

Some say technology has created a division between people. I tend to disagree. I believe technology can actually create stronger social connections. Depends on how it is used and how it is integrated within your social circles. There is a fine line here, a "razors edge" between positive and negative forces.

As a professional in the field of health promotion, I am a supporter of the positive use of applications and devices that track your eating and exercise habits. Now, I am VERY concerned about who compiles and uses my data. I won't kid you. Nonetheless, I feel technology can make a positive impact in our health.

Over the past 5 years I have learned to LOVE technology in the health & fitness industry! I love it because it provides me and the people I serve with a quantifiable tools to help them improve their health & fitness. These new tools can track your eating habits (well you have to input the data) & weight, your exercise activity, and depending on your hardware your heart rate and perhaps even your restful or restless sleep patterns.

These tools help me as a health coach/trainer discuss goals and provide programs for my follow. If they want, I can peek into their diet and give them real time feedback. My Fitness Pal is my go to tool. I can provide not only encouragement, but educated direction and education that is specific to the person.

Now I am making use of another program, Map My Fitness. I'll be creating maps for walking, biking, running and even hiking with this program and providing my exercising peeps with courses to ride, walk or run. What may indeed be the most useful part is encouraging my on-line affinity groups to get moving and keep moving and we just might be to encourage those peeps to encourage others within their work groups, friends and family as well as community.

Here's an example of how I will make use of Map My Fitness: I will create maps to share with our employees: FP East Aurora Heritage Walk 2.5miles



No comments:

Post a Comment