Sunday, March 3, 2013

...And Why Haven't I Supported Women's Sports Before?!

I really should be ashamed of myself! At 55 I am just now buying tickets to women's sporting events, University @ Buffalo Women's Basketball and WNY Flash (women's pro soccer league).

Why haven't I supported women's sports in the past? Probably has a lot to do with the fact that I was (mostly) a single mom working full-time, including a couple P/T gigs along the journey, balancing a career and a football, ice hockey and soccer playing son.

A reason, but NOT a good excuse.

I mean really! I was a first generation athletic scholarship woman athlete myself! I played during the days when the college newspaper gave a full 2 page spread to a rained out baseball game and a 1/2 paragraph to an undefeated women's lacrosse team game! The injustice of it created a storm surge at the campus paper headquarters. We got news coverage on that stunt!

So here I am at the age of 55 and very nearly an "empty-nester" and I am just now making the time for women's sports!

Today I am taking my nearly graduated college soccer playing son to the UB Women's Basketball game. I must have done something right because 1. He wants to spend time with his mom on his short spring break and 2. He loves going to the women's games as much as he does the men's sports.

Why haven't I done this before now? Supported women's sports? Well, that was then and this is NOW!

I have attached the 2013 WNY Flash season schedule. Take a peek, they may be coming to city near you...take yourself to one...take your kids....

WNY Flash 2013 Schedule

'via Blog this'

1 comment:

  1. Its great that you have involve your kids to sports now. I guess I have to do that with my kids too since I love playing sports like volleyball before when I was younger. Let us fulfill our dreams through our kids.

    ReplyDelete