Wednesday, October 12, 2011

GMO's: Genetically Modified Organisms - The Rights of Consumers v Corporations

The debate over Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO's) and consumer protection is a perfect example of "We the People" v "We the Corporation".

It seems to me so logical that "Yes, of course" all foods should be labeled when they are NOT purely produced by mother nature.

The fact that there is a debate at all screams how the power of large corporations and their profits weigh in more heavily then the health and well-being of the people, the consumer of such foods.

The fact that these corporations are making huge profits and yet having no accountability over the long-range implications of the GMO's on consumer health is an outrage to me.

I believe in the freedom of choice. And in this incidence, as far as the USA in concerned, we are being denied the choice of knowing how our food has been manufactured and produced.

I want to eat healthy. I want to be healthy. I'd like to think corporations will have my best interest in mind while producing these GMO foods, but the truth of the matter is immediate profits out weigh my future health in the long run.

"While the Act includes provisions relating to the genetic modification of organisms,
from the development and production to the release and application of GMOs, as well
as the use of gene therapy, it does not govern the labelling of products that contain GMOs,
or stipulate the need to disclose this information to the consumer," says Natasha Wright,
an associate, at law firm Adams & Adams."

OK I can accept that no one else takes responsibility for my health. But in this case I can not only be informed, I have no way to fight back and hold anyone corporation accountable to the potential adverse health reaction to my body ingesting a multitude of GMO's.

I believe I should have that right to know what I am ingesting, to be informed so that I can make my own decision and choose what I believe best for me.

Right now without labels we are being denied that right.

It's wrong period.

When something is fought so strongly like the fight for GMO labeling in the USA, then I can't help but think that even the corporations who are creating GMO's don't know the long range health consequences and want only to profit now and wipe their hands of future responsibility.

That is just shameful.

South Africa, as this article explains is taking a stand. So should the USA!

Consumers are protected by GMO Act - Adams & Adams:

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment